Disclaimer: The following material is based on the personal research, experiences and beliefs of the staff of the Institute of Russian Healing Arts, and is not approved by any medical or dietary authority. Use this information only at your own risk. Please, consult your physician before using this information, especially if you are under medical supervision.
I’m sure you’ve heard a lot about natural ways of boosting for your immune system. I want to talk about the MOST natural way of boosting your immunity to illness using your own body’s energy. In this article I’m going to talk about strengthening your immune system with yoga. You have to already be practicing basic yoga so you can understand what I’m going to talk about here. So this article is addressed mostly to my students and Yoga practitioners.
The Yoga complex which I recommend for strengthening your immune system should not replace your regular practice but make a useful addition to it during cold season. Or if your immune system is compromised, you may talk to your doctor about practicing Immune Power Yoga on a regular basis, year round. Immune Power Yoga can be used as a prevention of cold and flu as well as a part of a treatment if you’re already sick (with the permission of your doctor of course). You may use Immune Power Yoga for any condition which requires a strong immune system to feel well (with the permission of your doctor). If you have an autoimmune condition you MUST consult with your doctor because there is a chance you should not practice this yoga complex.
A few warnings: You have to go through a basic warm-up before practicing Immune Power Yoga. It is advised to include lymphatic system waking-up and “1001 movements” in your warm-up. All breathing techniques must be practiced while counting your heartbeats, not just counting. If you feel pain, discomfort, light headedness or dizziness please stop your practice and consult with your doctor. To avoid feeling dizzy or light headed consider doing Shavasana in between exercises or whenever you may feel it necessary.
So, to make your immune system really strong, let’s perform the following complex:
- Full Yogi Breathing (3 phase breathing) 3 or 5 or 7 times, depending on how advanced you are. This will prepare you for advanced breathing practices.
- HA breathing in standing position with visualization. 3 or 5 or 7 times. This will provide emotional cleansing and general detox.
- Bhastrika breathing. 3 times with Full Yogi Breathing after each Bhastrika. This will provide detox and strengthening of your respiratory system as well as a powerful stimulation of your immune system in general.
- Chest drum. This is the technique when you hold your breath for 7 to 14 heartbeats after 3 phase inhalation. While holding your breath, drum on the mid sternum with the right fist. Than make 3 phase exhalation. Repeat 3 or 5 or 7 times. This is thymus gland activation.
- Kapalabhati or Fire Breath. 3 series of 10 or 20 or 30 fire breaths with 3 phase yogi breathing after each series.
- Lion’s pose from the Diamond position. 3 phase inhalation. Make sure to stick your tongue out and down on holding your breath after 3 phase exhalation and press your wrists against your knees so all the muscles of your torso are forced to tense up. Eyes are looking up! Hold for 7 or 14 heartbeats. Repeat 3 times.
- Diamond meditation in Diamond position. Visualize (if you can’t visualize; conceptualize) yourself as a beautiful Diamond under the sun collecting solar energy with 3 phase yogi breathing. 3 or 5 or 7 yogi breathings.
Please don’t go over your current knowledge or abilities. If in doubt, please consult with your yoga teacher and your doctor. For preventive purposes you may practice Immune Power Yoga once or twice a week. Or you can practice it as often as needed - up to once a day if you need to.